Jeremiah 1:5

Before I formed you, Mavery, in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Dont drink the water....


GROSS!!!!!!!!! This morning I brushed my teeth in the dark with a flashlight while Mark was still snoring away & (I could not get lights to come on in the bathroom) I decided I was going to take a bath since my body was sore from the hard beds. So I turn the water on, while still using my flashlight and I am almost sure that the water is YELLOW! I quickly turned it off, and ran to the sink and started drinking the listerine as I had no idea if the sink water was also yellow because I had just brushed my teeth but did not pay attention to the water while doing it. Yuck! We got a note last night saying we would not have water between midnight and 5am so I thought maybe it had something to do with that. I finally got the lights figured out, and for whatever reason only the bathwater is yellow. The sink and shower are not. So looks like I will not be taking a bath. Of course we know don't drink the water, but I thought brushing teeth was ok? Maybe not. Bobo did tell us yesterday something about the hotel being on the river and the dirty water etc..
We had the breakfast buffet and we were the only people in the place for the first 1/2. Talk about feeling out of place. There are about 10 people just standing around staring at us, who are working and ready to get you whatever you want. Of course they do not know english so I am convinced they were all making fun of us and having a good time that I could not figure out the toaster or how to tell them what I wanted in my omelette. Must say I was so sad they do not have french toast or dumplings. Maybe it changes daily. But there were still alot of good choices and we left full. My kids would just love the endless supply of bacon though it was SO quiet in that room, I can only imagine how it would have been with 4 monkeys in there!
I have been surprised how little english the chinese know that we have spoke with. I thought Shanghai would be more fluent, but so far that is not the case.
We are off to tour soon, and we found the converter so I need to get this plugged in. Converter does not work where the internet hook up is. No wireless here.
Did get to talk to the kids and it sounds like all is going well. My mom went and bought a leash for Sage, I am sure that will be fun! All it took was one trip to Chuck E Cheese and she was on her way to Walmart for it! My dad wondered if they make a leash that would hold all 4! hehe!

5 comments:

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Oh YUCK! Nope...not supposed to brush your teeth...sorry! Hopefully the Listerine took care of things. Some people place socks over the faucet as a reminder not to brush their teeth with the faucet water. And...don't forget..."no ice" either. Have you started counting the blessings of luxuries in the US? No bath? Oh my!! Welcome to China! heehee

Yvette said...

We had some ooops moments where we forgot not to use the water (mostly when rinsing off the toothbrush after the brushing) . . . we survived!

Thanks for sharing your journey! We were there in May and it feels just like it was yesterday. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your journey!

Finally a Family of Four said...

That yellow water is nasty. I don't blame you for not taking any baths. Maybe they sell ben-gay for your sore achy muscles. I guess the sore muscles are your labor pains (ha ha)
Have a great day and a wonderful time touring.
God Bless
Renee

Anonymous said...

Yellow water - that is just downright gross! I would not very happy not being able to take a bath, but in the end it will all be worth it when you see that beautiful girl! I can certainly understand why your Mom bought the lease for Sage - I WAS THEIR AND WE ONLY LOST HER TWICE! I think that is pretty good!

Love ya Lots
Deb

Anonymous said...

I love reading of your adventures...even the gross ones. :)
Blessings to you!
Amber