Jeremiah 1:5

Before I formed you, Mavery, in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Shanghai Nights

So taking a nap during the day before you are supposed to be somewhere and thinking you are over jet lag is not such a good idea. I laid down while Mark was working on pictures, just for a minute before we got dinner and headed to the Acrobat Show. All of a sudden I wake up and it is dark out and Mark is snoring. So we rushed to get downstairs because Bobo was picking us up for the show SOON! No time for supper, and we both felt so horrible we were not in the mood anyway. What I really wanted to do was just stay in bed and forget the show but we are not here to sleep, right? We get to the show and see they have popcorn and decide that will do for a pre supper snack. (the show is at 730, we had lunch at noon.) Bobo takes us to our seats with instructions to not move after it is over so she can come and find us! We start on our popcorn which we quickly decide was a waste of money and figured out why we were the only ones at the popcorn stand. It was sweet, which I did not expect. Kind of a cross between kettle corn and caramel corn. But not good. Even Mark agreed and did not eat his so you know it is bad because he eats anything!

The Shanghai Acrobats were good, but since I have now seen the acrobat shows quite a few times, combined with still feeling groggy from my nap, and no food, I did not enjoy it as much as I hoped. I was to that point where I was just thinking, GET ME TO MAVERY! Had some fun, now lets get on with the show. Towards the end of the show I am looking around for the restroom, but was to chicken to venture through the dark and fear that I won't get back to my seat before Bobo is looking for us. One interesting thing to note, I have seen alot of the chinese acrobat shows and this is the first time I have ever seen ANYONE mess up. They had 3 "drops" in the show. Thankfully just plates, and hats, no people. But since I had never seen the mess ups and I am already "edgy" their flying through the air while hanging on ribbons about did me in. Then the final act. They open the curtain to this huge metal "ball" of a cage. And they bring out a small motorcycle with rider who goes into the ball and begins to drive around, free flying etc. Cool enough, smelly, but I am ready to go. Well then they bring out another motorcycle, who joins the first. Then another. I told Mark if they brought out a 5th one I was leaving. And they did, but of course I stayed because it is dark and I don't even know which sign says bathroom much less exit. So the whole time I am thinking, 5 motorcycles in a small cage, in an enclosed building. The smell of gas is making me gag, my bladder is getting fuller by the minute and I am just sure that they are going to crash and explode and the whole building is going to blow up around me. I am trying to remind myself that I have been on the roads of China and seen the motorcycles driving around just as crazy as the taxi, so driving in circles in a small enclosed cage while free falling in the air should be no big deal really, right? Well obviously we are still here, so the motorcycles were fine, Bobo was there right when the lights came up and we were out the door.

While exiting I am thinking I really should ask her to find a bathroom, but as I look behind me at the crowd coming out, I figure the drive home won't be to bad. Of course for some reason I forgot that we were in CHINA and every ride IS that bad and Bobo put us in the taxi with out her and sent us on our way. So bouncing around in the van, holding my breath as we almost hit at least 50 different people, and praying my bladder does not explode, it was quite a ride!

We made it back to our hotel, (& the bathroom for the record!) and then decided to find dinner. We were going to order room service but figured we should try the hotel restaurants. We went to look at the French place, but for $100 US, the menu did not look appetizing enough. So we went to the Japanese restaurant and while we did not understand the menu, figured we could wing it. Such a neat place, but Mark has not added pictures so I will add those in flickr tomorrow. We ordered Japanese Pork Tenderloin, creamy potatoes and tried to order french onion soup, but they were out (we think that is what she said) so we pointed to corn tortilla thinking it was soup. They bring out our meat which was really good. (they cook the food on a grill you can see next to you) then the potatoes which were ok, basically just sliced potatoes grilled, served all fancy with ketchup dribbled across them. Then they start making a pancake looking thing which is obviously not soup. It takes forever, this chef is quite the artist, and then he drizzles chocolate syrup across it and hands it over. So I guess corn tortilla is dessert? It looked like a pancake, tasted kind of like corn pudding, maybe? A tiny bit. with chocolate sauce. And of course they are standing there staring at us as we are the only ones in the place. I ate what I could and asked for a box to go which threw them all off and then trying to get our check was an adventure. We are very ready to have Leighs family with us so at least we can figure they are laughing at them to, not just us! ;0)

Mark says what in the world can you write about when we simply saw a show and ate? So on that note, I better get to bed, it is now midnight here. Maybe I will sleep in tomorrow. I have so many things in my head though about our day, I just don't want to forget anything. Hopefully tomorrow I can tell you about Shanghainese, even and odd driving days, and what I think about no clothes dryers.

Tomorrow we meet Leigh & family! And that means we are another step closer to Ms Mavery!!!

4 comments:

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Breathe Shannon...breathe! LOL
I remember by the time we got to the acrobatic show we were spent and did not enjoy it or the popcorn. Something that REALLY helped us when we were out on our own was a "cheat sheet". We made a list of things like coke no ice, coffee, egg custard (for Lauren),our favorite dish, etc. and then asked our tour guide to write the Chinese characters next to them. We held on to this list for dear life as it was our only line of communication. I hope that you are getting a great night of rest right now! Sweet Dreams!

Mom to my China Posse said...

Sounds like a wild evening. lol...... You guys are so adventurous. We neevr ventured out past dark.lol.......

Anonymous said...

We are really enjoying reading the Mavery blog...keep it coming. We got to watch Sage today and had a ball with her! We painted toes and fingers and actually only smudged a few fingers (she's a girl on the go)! The kids looked great today when Jan dropped Sage off. It sounds like they are having a great time with everyone(they are going to be bored when you guys get back). Well, I hope you all are getting some rest. Take care of each other, we love you guys.
Love, Monte

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that you are finally in China (again!). Just two more days until you have Mavery, and we know you can't wait.. Keep the details coming, we are reading as fast as you can type. Love you all, Ray and Judy