Jeremiah 1:5

Before I formed you, Mavery, in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Goodnight is no fun

We had a quiet evening. We met the Chisums for dinner on the rooftop which was just beautiful. We figured this was a safe place to dine since Mavery was so wild at lunch, and had NO NAP today. They have these cool little rooms on the roof, I guess you can reserve them. We did not know that and they were full, but if you are coming to the Lakeview, keep this in mind. The view is spectacular. We were hoping to see the light show on the water, but no luck. Though we did not stick around long to find out if it ever would start. It was a buffet dinner, with no labels, but we figure sometimes it is better that way. No idea what you are eating, just try it and if it is good, don't think about it just enjoy! The chef making meat comes around to your table with fresh meat on the sticks every once in awhile. Do you want some chicken? Sure. Do you want some sausage? Sure. Do you want some cow tongue? WHAT? Uh, no, since that literally is in the shape of a tongue on your stick. If Mark said yes, I was going to change tables. He asked us some things we could not understand, and were in shapes that were questionable, so we skipped alot of things. .

SongSong was very quiet at first, I am pretty sure half asleep, which we thought was a good thing. Feed her, get her up to bed. Well protein does the girl wonders and all of a sudden she is running around the rooftop like a wild woman. Might I add that the edge is just an edge, no glass, so that was stressful. For those of you who know my Sage, imagine her in one of her spicy moods, on a rooftop fancy restaurant and that is what we had. The difference being is that Mavery is yelling at everyone in Chinese, saying who knows what with this cackling laugh. We are both sweating by the time we are ready to go, and the thought of our flight to Guangzhou tomorrow has us both scared. We are trying to talk the Chisums into letting her sit with MingMing for the flight, I am pretty sure they are not going for it! ha!

We get back to the room, sure she will crash and she is not looking tired one little bit. So we start packing and trying to play "calmly" so she might settle down. Not happening. Now I know they had her on a routine, and I know for 2 years old she HAS to sleep! So we try putting her in her bed, she climbs out. I try to lay with her, she refuses. I try to lay her in my bed with out me, she refuses. She screams and screams if we even try to get her to bed.

So what do you do? We do not want to upset her and ruin the steps we have made with her. However, we know she needs sleep. We finally kept putting her back in her bed, she screams, so we said, (as if she gets it) my bed or your bed. (we do lots of charades) So she lays down with me, but refuses to let me touch her, and whimpers herself to sleep. Which only took about 2 minutes once she stayed laying down. I am not against her sleeping with me at all, but that is not what she wants. She just does not want to lay down period.

Let me know if you have any ideas. Sage slept so well in China and is still such a good sleeper. We had others who were not so great, but obviously what worked for them is not going to work for a child who just met us 3 days ago.

Tomorrow we are going to the silk market with our guide and then leaving for Guangzhou tomorrow evening. Our flight does not land till 830 so it will be a late night. Pray for us if you will. I can not imagine what she is going to be like on that plane! I am sure I will have a fun blog after that ride! ;0)

5 comments:

Mom to my China Posse said...

Praying for a nice flight for you all. I am sure your excited to be going to GZ. Praying for you. We to have a spicy girl who isn't a good sleeper.

Mom2Three said...

I have made it through two adoption trips so far without peeing outside of the hotel. Hoping to continue that tradition on the next trip.

And I see you've truly got a Mary Pearl on your hands. Those people who let their babies "cry it out" and I thought that was cruel?? Uhh... yeah... Mary Pearl never wanted to go to sleep - not alone, not with me, not with Emily... she just didn't want to go to bed!!

And... I hate to break it to you, but it continued once home. I still sit on a stool outside their bedroom door reading my own book until she's asleep and she's been home for two years almost!!!!

It seems exercise helps... wear her out somehow??
Good luck!!!
Your blog is WONDERFUL!!!!
You are the reason I get up with a smile on my face every morning --"Gotta check the blog!"

Oh -- Tell Leigh to send me her password so I can fix her header!!!
:-)
Cynthia
Jin Pei's Mama
underthemistymountain.blogspot.com

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Oh...Mavery sounds like Lauren. The less sleep Lauren gets...the more hyper she becomes. If she dosn't get a nap...its almost impossible to get her to sleep at night and when she does fall asleep she continues to wake up many times thru the night. I have not been able to figure it out. Sorry...wish I had some helpful hints for you. Mavery is so beautiful! I love her in headbands...it outlines her precious face! Did you take those headbands or are you finding them in China?

Anonymous said...

Shannon & Mark & Mavery,
know that prayers are continually being lifted up. You already have an answered prayer! Think of that wonderful answered prayer everytime you kiss Mavery!

Many Blessings,
Tracy

Finally a Family of Four said...

Girl,
Remember my flight from chongquing to Gz. Lily screamed and acted like such a fool that flight attendants kept running over to calm her down. Even flying home was a nightmare. I still shutter when I think about it. However, who cares what people or saying or thinking--- you will never see them again. Just do whatever you need to do to get her through the rest of this trip and get home. It all works out.
I will be praying for your Peace and sanity. Keep taking deep breaths and I promise you each day, each week things will fall in to place.
Blessings to My Friend,
Renee