Jeremiah 1:5

Before I formed you, Mavery, in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mark's Post - A Dad's Prayer Answered

Ok, well I guess it is time to do a post. I have two other posts that I want to do but first I wanted to share my experience with Mavery. As Shannon mentioned she really does not appreciate me at this moment. She won't let me do anything except she will sit on my lap if Shannon is in the bathroom. I expected this and I am glad I am getting the cold shoulder instead of Shannon. I am not sure she could take it. Dads are expected to just roll with it but don't believe your husband when he says it doesn't bother him. It still hurts. I have tried my best to not show my frustration although Shannon has caught me rolling my eyes a few times. I felt especially bad when Shannon had to carry her a million miles and if I try to touch her she screams bloody murder with about a million chinese people staring at us (that's Mavery screaming not Shannon :>). I could not get us a taxi so I was feeling pretty useless at this point. I think God knew he needed to throw me a rope. We get to the room tonight and it is the normal cold shoulder. She decides to sit on my lap to look at pictures and I kind of toss her to see if I get anything. I have been trying to occasionally tickle her or bounce her and I get the get lost scream! Well this time she kind of giggles. I was not going to let this pass so I count 1,2,3 and toss her a little higher and she giggles more. Pretty soon I am tickling her and she is counting 1,2, 3 or ready, set, go in Chinese (not sure which). Well, I threw her about 100 times but I was not quitting until she did. We just had a blast playing which is basically what Dad's are for in my opinion. Just having a great time together. I thanked God so much tonight. The girls are both sleeping now and I love just looking at them. All is good in the world tonight.

One Happy Dad,
Mark

Here is a small glimple of our night!



17 comments:

RamblingMother said...

It stinks. I am a mom and was rejected for my dad who traveled with me. So I know. But do also know that as painful as it is now it will be just as sweet when she sees you as her dad!!

Our House of Five said...

Mark you are doing great! I love looking at Mavery giving the stink eye! She is just so cute and those looks are so telling,she is going to give you a run for your money very soon! We will just remind you then about the "standoffish" little lady you will only have a vague memory of!

What a great deal you get, you get to be the fun one!

When we got Cooper I was the one who got the stink eye, I got spit at , hit and cursed at in Chinese. So I decided to just hang out enjoy China and have a mini vacation, daddy got to do all the work for once! Darn if all that didn't change once we were home, then he saw that the other kids liked me and now he thinks I am pretty good-except when I say no and then it's a whole different story!

Enjoy.

Tracy

Mom to my China Posse said...

Mark, I loved reading your post. Sounds like you are getting the same treatment Annah gave Andy but I see she is warming up now that she is finding daddy to be a pretty good playmate. I have especially been praying for you because I know how it was when we were in China and how hurt Andy was. Hopefully by the time you get on the plane back she will be a happy girl with both of you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark!!
I'm such a ditz at doing this. I tried to post a comment before this, and I'm not sure you got it! Anyway, I loved the video of you and Mavery. I've played it over and over now. Mark you're such a good dad, she is one blessed little girl to have you and Shannon as parents. We love you and know the road will get better and better now.

Anonymous said...

Well, I see you got my post. I'm so excited you got it. I'm so proud to have you for a son and Shannon for a daughter-in-law and you do a pretty good job of providing us with grandkids!! We're enjoy the others immensely while you're gone.

Amy said...

Hooray for Mavery smiles. Don't worry Mark, she will definitely catch on quickly that she has a pretty great daddy. Then she will be showing that pouty lip and giving you a long list of things she wants you to get her!

Mom2Three said...

Oh - how totally sweet!!!!
I am not sure what she's saying, but it does sound like counting.
In Mandarin, 1,2,3 is "ee, are, sahn..." but she may be speaking a dialect??

Regardless... HOW WONDERFUL to hear her giggle!!!!!
Cynthia
Jin Pei's ecstatically (sp?) happy mama......

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt Mark that she will be "in love with you" very soon. Once she finds out that all she has to do is look at you with those beautiful brown eyes - it will all be over! She is as gorgeous as Sage and I can't want to see her!

Love
Deb

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Mark, it was so great to read a dad's point of view! It seems that many dads have to step back in the shadow of us moms. Thank you for stepping forward and expressing that you are hurting as well. It won't be long and Mavery will be jumping in your lap and making sure the other kids know that you are HER daddy! I loved watching the video!

Anonymous said...

Encourage yourselves in the knowledge that you have seen firsthand that Mavery already knows how to love and laugh and tease. Hang in there - she will love again, and soon! I remember that JoAnne, Dick, Ray and I had to keep our distance from Dalayna for so long, and it was HARD! Now it is a whole other, delightful story. Praying for you, Ray and Judy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ok, maybe I made it sound like I was too miserable. Everything has been fine just one of those God moments when we started playing and laughing together. Had to express the joy a Dad can feel also. A little like falling in love again. :>

Mark

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Mark, you didn't sound miserable at all. I think its great that you found such joy in hearing your daughter giggle! She is very blessed to have a daddy like you!!!

Stephanie said...

MArk, thanks for the heartfelt post. It takes a tough dad to let his heart sho in a vulnerable way!
So glad that you got some great giggles....the first of many!
Hang in there.....
Blessings, Stephanie

Amber said...

I loved watching this video. How sweet it is to see her giggle and smile. I'm praying you'll have many more times like these!

Brett said...

Hey Mark, read your blog and man you were sounding pretty sappy. Went made me almost cry. I am joking of course (except for the me almost crying). I am excited for you and I can't imagine the patience that it must take to get to the place that you and Sage are at now. But we know that getting there is worth the travel. Love you bro. and cant wait to see you all.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark? I am the mom of 2 adopted children from China. For our first adoption, with our daughter, she wouldn't even LOOK at my husband at Gotcha day. Not one look! Solid crying to both of us for 3 days straight, but you know what? I let him change her. Him feed her. She wasn't happy about it. Cried like no one's business, but in 2 days? (5th day after Gotcha) She was DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL! It was great to see!

We could literally do anything, either one of us without having her throw a fit or bawl. It was great! OH yeah.........our daughter came to us wanting to be held 100% of the time too. Weaned her off that REAL QUICK! And she was fine for that.

Kristen
http://crazykookybutallmine.blogspot.com