Jeremiah 1:5

Before I formed you, Mavery, in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Gotcha Part II

I am sitting here watching her sleep. I waited for so long for this moment to just see her sleeping. She has the most amazing lips I have ever seen and her cheeks are so soft and full and thankfully I have been able to kiss on them a few times, though she is not that excited about it. I am just staring in awe at her. Look what the Lord has done for us, look what He has given us! Another beautiful baby girl is ours.

We got ready and had breakfast with Leigh and I actually felt fairly calm. Calmer than I did with Sage. Which is probably a good thing with how it was about to go.

Before we left our room Mark just prayed for us, for Mavery, we spent time just in thanksgiving and praise before Him. Which did get my emotions flowing, but I was still ok.

We got to the office and we did not know if we would see the girls when we walked in, or not. We start walking upstairs and I hear screaming and I am thinking, is that Mavery, please don't let that be Mavery! And then I see a white man holding her so I know that it is not Mavery. We get in the room and find out they will not be there for another 1/2 hour. So that is good, we can get started on paperwork. This process has been so different for us, but we got it all done and were standing waiting and I saw Emma walk in and then the director is there holding Mavery and he is saying Jin Cong mama baba and nodding at me and I walk over and she sees me and she SCREAMS. Loud, very loud screams. He hands her to me and she is fighting me with all she can to get away from me and screaming and then screaming at me in Chinese and I am thinking, ok so do I set her down and let her run from me? About that time the 2 directors come over and are yelling in chinese (not yelling, but you know sometimes when they talk it sounds like yelling) and I hear potty and they say set her down and I do and they take her out of the room. Mark did not hear the potty part so he comes over and says, are they going to bring back the non screaming version or what? So she comes back in the room and walks over to Emma and wants NOTHING to do w/ me at all. I try to hand her something, she pushes me away. It was almost comical how disgusted with me she was. I am pulling out all the tricks and NOTHING gets her. Not my food, not my toys, NOTHING.
Emma who is my friends daughter, is SO calm and is a little mother. The director told us these two are tight and I once again see why our timeline turned out as it did. These little girls were meant to leave together and have this forever bond between them. Hopefully Mark is going to post a video of our bus ride home. If Leigh would hand Emma something, she would open it and take it to Mavery and give it to her. She took a kleenex and would wipe her nose for her. I handed Mavery some stickers and she screams something at me and I hear Ming Ming and she runs to Emma and hands them over to her. It was the most precious thing I have ever seen the bond between them. They were holding hands as we walked out, just precious.

We were at the office a long time, a few hours doing paperwork, signing everything, etc. We were given all of the stuff we sent, tons of camera, our video camera we sent, and an outfit that they said Mavery loves. We were also given a chance to see a note that was left with Mavery when she was found. They would not let me have it but I did get to take pictures and they wrote down what it said. I had sent a red book of questions awhile back and they filled out the entire book! I am SO excited about that. It is all in Chinese so will be anxious to let Esther read through it for me. We both just talked about how blessed we were, they really seemed to love our kids, and to me it seemed they really knew them.

At one point Mavery is screaming again and they say potty, mama take you potty. So I am thinking ok good, I get to take her. And she actually did let me pick her up and carry her to the potty. She is not happy, but she lets me. So the guide shows me where to go and I walk in and it is a squatty potty and the floor is filled with nasty water or, well I don't even want to think of what it is. So I am thinking, she cant stand in this, so I am holding her over the pot while I am squatting and here we are staring right at each other and I am praying that I am not going to fall over in this water and that surely this is a good bonding moment right? Either that or she is thinking, why is this lady holding me and not letting me just do my thing here? We survived and Praise the Lord she is potty trained!

As we prepare to leave, Mavery grabs on to Emma's hand all the while with this little pout. We get out to the van, and they sit on the bench together and I go to sit down and Mavery pushes me away while screaming at me. Sigh.. But you know me, I don't give up that easily so I just scoot my way in and sit with her. Emma keeps her arm tightly around Mavery and is wiping her nose and trying to make her happy. Emma was also pointing at me, it seemed trying to tell Mavery, that is your mama, you are stuck with her wether you like it or not!

We get back to our hotel and have to get photos taken and I am thinking, this is going to be so much fun. We go in the shop and they send Emma in front of the screen and so that means she has to walk away from Mavery and so that starts the hysterical screaming all over again. So the picture people let Mavery come up next to her so she will stop crying. But it was bad, she was just so upset and I am crying and ugh... Then we have to get a family picture done and you can imagine how that was! They finally sent Emma up to stand next to me so she was near Mavery! I told Leigh maybe we just needed to find us a nice hotel with one big room so we can be one big happy family for a week! We decide that we need to just do it, take her to our room, break her away from Emma for a little bit and see how it goes.

And she screamed all the way to our room and the chinese people are staring at me while they sit in my hallway and smoke and we just get to our room and set her down and after a few minutes she did not screaming. Mark left to go find food and I sat on the floor and tried to play with her, while she just stared at me with the look. That I am so disgusted with you look. I started moving away from her just letting her be and she actually started following me, which I took as a good sign. After awhile she was standing and about fell over asleep but when I tried to put her in the crib she screamed. So I sat her on my bed, she would not lay down, and she finally fell over asleep.

More to say, but she is awake so will write later tonight with how the rest of our day turns out and add more pictures soon!

6 comments:

Our House of Five said...

She is perfect in everyway! What a great meeting! See, now you get this all out of the way-so the teen years will be a breeze!

I know from all the information you had you were "prepared" for this reaction, but it can still be hard on the heart.

Thank goodness you are not a first time mom!

You are however a mom with a huge faith, a big heart and a strong love. There will be nothing poor Mavery can do but love you.

You and Mark will remember this beginning with the softest of hearts, it will be rememberd perfect in everyway, just like the journey to bringing Mavery home-perfect in everyway!

Just don't forget this was clear to you the very first moment you saw Mavery's picture, you looked in those eyes and you were told this is your daughter, a piece of you and your family-forever. You had your storybook meeting at that very moment. By the Grace of God you and Mavery are together forever, mom and daughter....how good is that!

Love, Tracy

Mom to my China Posse said...

Shannon and Mark, She is gorgeous!!! Don't worry she is doing just what Annah did last year with us and let me tell you this child had bonded to em like no other now. On day three in China we seen a huge turn around and by the time we left Momma couldn't leave her sight. hang in there you are doing everything perfect! The disgusted look you said she was giving you is quite normal, Annah would fling her self to anyone Chinese for the first 2 days, anything to get away from us funny looking people. lol...... I am praying for you all and shedding happy tears.

Angi said...

You hang in there Shannon!!!! I've soooo been there. You are not alone and it will get better I promise. :-) Anna Lin just had a fit with us and that look she would give me. Ooooo! We won't even go there with Autumn. :-D But it does get better. You've got yourself a strong-willed, healthy little girl. Soon she'll be wrapped all around you. Just hang in there.
Angi

Marcy said...

Oh Shannon...she is just precious. Her sad face makes me want to cry. It will get better I am sure. It won't take her long to realize what an awesome momma she has!

Marcy in KY

Anonymous said...

This is all so amazing! She is beautifull and I can't wait to meet her and even more for her to be a happy full of energy little girl like Sage. Your blog has been so emotional for me. I'm laughing and crying at the same time. Hang in there, God has His hand on all of you and we all love you very much.

Paula

Sandi in FL said...

CONGRATS GUYS!!!!!!!!

Shannon, you may not remember, but in the very beginning I told you that Mavery looks like our Tova (gotcha 9/10/07), and they have the same sn as well! Your gotcha went almost EXACTLY like ours with Tova!!!!!!!!(sans an "Emma") The pout, the disgust look... oh my! LOL Tova fought me so much at gotcha that I handed her over to baba... well, that worked out, even though she fought him too, but then she wouldn't let ME touch her for 3 days!!!!!!!! That's all in the past however, as this will be for you soon too! =) Now we have a healthy, happy, still pudgy cheeked little cherub. =)Blessings INDEED!!!!!!!!!!

I'm LOVING following your trip!!!