Jeremiah 1:5

Before I formed you, Mavery, in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Squatty Potty 101


If you have no idea what a squatty potty is when I talk about them, let me explain it to you. Actually just see the above photo. I had to go back to our last trip for a picture because this time I only get to enter a bathroom with Mavery and I can't balance her and the camera in there. There are no hooks to hang your things on, as if that would surprise you since there is no seat to even sit on!
Now I am in no way making fun of chinese culture here, I am serious about that. But I just can't get into this potty thing. Call me spoiled or whatever you wish, I don't like it. They are in stalls, or at least all of them I have used. They do not have toilet paper, so that to me is just "different". They come in many shapes and sizes, but all similar to above, meaning they are on the ground and you squat over them to use it. Some have "foot rests" on the side, not sure what is the fancier version!
Let me go back to the first day I met Mavery and I had to take her to the bathroom. Here I am holding her over the pot, squatting in front of her, our foreheads touching, and me staring into her beautiful brown eyes, while she is giving me the look, like, so you are who I get stuck with huh? All the while I am praying I do not fall over into the mess that is the floor and then thinking what am I going to use for Toilet Paper because there is none?
Next day we go to a bathroom on the way to Jinhua, we walk into the bathroom and Emma walks in the stall and squats.
FACING THE WALL.
WHICH IS NOT THE WAY I WAS HOLDING MAVERY!
No wonder the child was hysterical with me!
Maybe I am the only dummy who does not know you don't face the way you would on a toilet, you face the wall. But at least I know that Leigh did not know this either, we were both clueless. (and I am sure she is going to love that I shared this on my blog! hehe!)
And what I don't get about this is that you face the toilet, towards the trash can right at your face, which is gross.
Have I mentioned that Mavery find it great fun to visit EVERY single bathroom we can, and I always pray it will be a "western toilet" and sometimes I get lucky, most times I don't.
So, if you are coming to China, I suggest you practice your squatting, and be certain to pack toilet paper because you will need it! Or if you are like me, just practice stretching your bladder as much as possible so you can stick to your hotel toilet only! ;0)

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Shannon,
Oh how I remember those pottys. Nightmares!! I have loved watching your family grow since we were in the same LID mo to get our girls. We went after you to get our sweet Sydney. You inspire me!

I'm sure you have heard of the warnings on Chinese formula, but not sure if you were aware that the CDC is actually telling all travelers to China to not use ANY dairy products in China. They have found melamine in liquid milk and frozen yogurt as well as the formula and candies. You might want to forgo Mavery's favorite ice cream cone! Go for the cola!

Blessings to all of you and you are in our prayers,
Sandy

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

I have been to China two times and I had no idea you face the wall either. LOL

Amy said...

I didn't know you face the wall either!! There is something weird about having your hiney facing the door and not being able to see if someone trys to come in! I always faced toward the door too!!

Amy in Arizona