Jeremiah 1:5

Before I formed you, Mavery, in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Operation Mavery Smiles!!!









What a difference a few hours make! Is that not the most beautiful site you have ever seen? that sad little face CAN smile! Oh we saw some personality tonight that is for sure and we were LOVING it! We decided to venture out for dinner with Leigh and family. We were a little nervous of how Mavery would do once back with Emma. But we also want them to be together and find comfort in each other. So we left the room and when I held out my hand, she grabbed on, which was good. We got downstairs and as soon as she saw MingMing (Emma) she took off to her and they just grabbed on to each other. It is like Emma feels it is her job to take care of Mavery, so sweet. So I try to touch her and she gives me the Uhhhh, which is the get away sound. We walk outside to grab taxis and I pick her up to jump in ours and she actually did fine. A little nervous leaving Emma at first, but good. So we decided to try a chinese place our hotel suggested. We asked for chinese food, english menus, kid friendly. We get there and it is very fancy, no english menu, no english speaking people. We point to a picture and ask what it is. Amazingly, every dish on the menu was pork! Jeff asked if they had pork like pig, and snorted for them, and that got a good round of giggles from the waitress's. It was quite comical. We ordered a few different things including duck, pork (we think) noodles and we are not sure what else. The food comes and the duck was bad, but some of it was ok. We have no idea what we were eating, and I think it is better that way. I fed Mavery, she would not feed herself. And after awhile, she just starts laughing and playing and it was so much fun! She and Ming Ming are quite something together. They act like sisters. They were hitting each other and yelling in chinese and we were just having a ball watching them. (for the record, Emma is 5, Mavery almost 3) Mavery is looking at us rattling off in Chinese and we just laughed and laughed! Such a blessing for sure to see her feeling better, made ME feel so much better.
We walked back from dinner and she was getting very tired. She is a heavy girl, but we were just happy she was letting us carry her because at first she was insisting on walking only.
Once in the room we put her pjs on with no complaints. I rocked her for awhile and laid her down and she sat up in bed and just wanted to play with her phone. She LOVES that phone. I had sent it in one of the care packages. I am pretty certain she is dialing 911 (or in China it is 119) and saying, PLEASE save me! She pushes the buttons over and over and has not let go of it.
Sweet, tonight we looked at all the pictures I have and she loves to point at everyone and hear their name! She goes to Sage everytime but stops on each of the other kids to. I also showed her the album I have made to take to the orphanage tomorrow and it has kids that have been adopted from there, along with pictures of the workers etc. She was rattling off people as she pointed to them, to cute! She loves Ming Ming that is for sure and anytime she saw her she yelled Ming Ming! She also stopped for awhile on the 2 Jinhua boys that are with our agency and still waiting.
We finally got her to lay down in the bed and she was out. We will see how it goes tonight. I know I am exhausted and heading to bed soon.
Some things about her. We have named her Mavery Raye JinSong. They gave us her name as Cong, but it sounds like Song and so we are spelling it that way. We are calling her Jin Song or SongSong and that is what she refers to herself as. We weighed her in our room at 30 pounds. She is chunky, her belly is huge as are her legs. I think she might be heavier than Sage, but about the same height. Her feet might be smaller. She is totally potty trained and we hope that she can teach Sage a few things about this. She is smart. In fact our guide said, Jin Song very smart, that is very bad for you as he laughed! She seems older to me than Sage, just the way she acts and talks and works things. Which shocked me, I thought she would be way behind. I believe Jinhua is just a very good orphanage and we were blessed she was there. Her chinese is so clear and it sounds hilarious coming from this tiny little girl, because she talks so fast and loud. Her voice is the opposite of Sage, not deep at all, more high. I hope we can get it on video. Mark tried to upload a video, but we are also doing flickr pictures so it did not work. Maybe I can capture her speaking soon! She has the most kissable cheeks, they are so fat and squishy and I love them!
Tomorrow we are off early to visit Jinhua, her orphange and city. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive so that should be lots of fun! I think she will do ok actually. This morning I worried, but I think she will just play and be with her friends and at the end of the day MingMing will go with us so I think it will be fine. Maybe I am wrong, but with how well she has been tonight, I just feel good about it. To be able to see where she has lived for the last 3 years is a gift for sure. And we are so excited to hug on a couple of boys that we know their mamas are waiting! Please do pray for us, for her as we go through this final goodbye to her home that she has known.
By the way, I have no clue what the sticker on the forhead is about. Emma stuck one on her and even in our room JinSong puts them on her head. Ancient Chinese Secret? I am not sure.
Thanks for the prayers and comments & emails, we have loved reading them and love having you all with us. I can't wait for you to see this little miracle that has been placed in our family. I still have so many things I wish I could write more about my feelings for today, , but I really can't keep my eyes open anymore! (hoping that Amy comes behind and spellchecks me on this one because I just want to sleep! ;0) ) Mark would also say, you are writing enough as it is, get off the computer!

22 comments:

Our House of Five said...

Happy sleeping, safe travels. Here's to open hearts, dreams and joys, to all that is unknown and all that is known let it all be forever content in your hearts. May peace be there with comfort and plenty of grace as Mavery tucks away her china family nice and safe in her heart and opens her life to her wonderful forever family. May she have the courage patience and desire to let you love her. May she gladly feel the presence of the lord. Mavery's light is bright and full of energy a true gift to guide your paths to never ending love and joy as a family!

Much love, Tracy

Finally a Family of Four said...

In her pictures mavery appears to be a little more baby like than sage. However, from your post it sounds like she is one smart cookie. It must be those chunky cheeks that make her look that way.
Get as much sleep as you can and keep up the blog.
renee

Mom2Three said...

SHE'S SMILING!!!!!!!
SHE'S SMILING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so HAPPY for you all!!!!!
What a wonderful week.... two of our girls coming home, and you get to see our two BOYS later TODAY, China Time!!!!
:-)
So you won't be able to miss Jin Pei (he will be Nathan!!) and Ben will be the adorable little guy Mavery will know really well, I'm sure!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
HUG MY BOY FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!
TELL HIM MAMA LOVES HIM!!!
Cynthia
underthemistymountain.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful transformation! She has great teeth!! LOL I knew you were dying to change her clothes and get a bow in her hair!

Julie H.

tiffany said...

Ah what a smile! Congratulations on your beautiful new addition.

Jenny said...

It was awesome to see Mavery smiling. In fact it brought tears to my eyes as it is just what I was praying for!

Praying you get a good nights rest and have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl. Ray and I love the smiles - worth waiting for, right? We are following you closely and praying for all of you. Ray and Judy

Mom to my China Posse said...

Oh I am so happy to read this post. Shannon, God is answering all our prayers for sure! I think Song Song is such a cute nick name. Ming Ming is precious as well. Keep those post coming.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys we are so happy for you, Amy and I were wondering if that other girl and her are so close if you are gonna end up coming home with two more. I mean when you have as many children as you do, whats one more. We are excited for you guys and can't wait to get back to see Mavery. We love you guys.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! I know it must be thrilling to finally have her in your arms. Her smile is contagious!!! Enjoy every minute with her. This time is priceless. I look forward to meeting her in person.


Kelly Yochum

Anonymous said...

mxfkBrett just showed me how to do this MLove you
Momavery is beautiful and we can't wait to meet her. Get some rest and give her hug for us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark and Shannon this is your favorite niece Tyler. I am praying for you and I miss you. We are keeping Sage busy. She slept well yesterday. She fell asleep in my lap when we were playing in her closet. I love you and can't wait to meet Mavery.

Stephanie said...

Ahhh there it is! So sweet! I love hearing about her personality and voice! I think sometimes Tatumn rattles off something in Chinese, maybe Avery can translate for us! :)
I will pray for sweet sleep tonight for you Shannon. What a hard fought journey. Sweet victory!
Stephanie

Angi said...

What a great smile! Glad things are going better for you. Hope all goes well tomorrow at the SWI.

I think you ate at a Chinese restaurant we ate at on our last day. Don't remember the name but it was definitely interesting. Lots of pork. Yeah, I believe that was the one. :-) Sounds like you all are doing great!

Angi

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Oh look at that beautiful smile!!! She looks like a different child! How sweet.. her relationship with Emma...awww! I think in a couple of days she will be all smiles. What a blessing to be traveling with Emma's family! Now you know why there were delays. God has a plan and it is unfolding for you! Thank you for keeping us updated with all of your posts. I'm enjoying your journey so much! God bless!!

Amy said...

She is beautiful!! Love that smile! And keep writing the long posts. I love all the details! Can't wait to hear about your orphanage visit!!

Amy in Arizona

Anonymous said...

Such an amazingly beautiful precious gift from God! My heart overflows with love and praise to our awesome Father. I am so thankful to see her smile...she was so serious and looked so frightened on the video call this morning. I love the pictures that show you and Mark looking at her. There is no way she will not fall in love with the mommy and daddy God chose for her. I can't wait to see her and kiss those adorable little lips and cheeks. Tell her Grammy and Papa love her very much. Overflowing withlove and pride, Grammy.

julie w said...

Shannon,
Mavery is just beautiful!!! Love to see that pretty smile!
I know she will be happier and happier as the days go on! You all are one blessed family!
Praying for you all! :)
Julie

Anonymous said...

What a sweet smile she has. We are going to be seeing a lot more of those when she gets home I'm just sure of it. I knew it wouldn't take you long to get a bow in her hair...she looked adorable with it in! I'm sure each day is going to be a little easier for her, and mommy and daddy too. You are all in our prayers and we think of you often during this exciting journey.

Love, Monte

Anonymous said...

I am so excited and feel so blessed to have such a beautiful new niece! I know that it was hard on you guys at the beginning, but I know that things will get better. She may be stubborn, but I'm sure that you can take her on - I have never known you to give up on anything! We had a ball looking at all the pictures and vidios. I can't wait to give her a big hug and see what name she decides to call me - not sure anything can beat Sawyer name though! How do you say Aunt Bubby in Chineese (ha ha) We love you guys.

Debbie

M and M Girls said...

Love the smiles. :-) weet little girls. I know you remember how quickly the blossom . . day 3 is usually the magic day - I can't wait. :-)
Diane
June Jitterbug

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful smile...what a beautiful family! Congratulations, dear friends!
Love and prayers,
Amber