Jeremiah 1:5

Before I formed you, Mavery, in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Thursday Day



Our Guide Peter, we are keeping him on his toes for sure! I especially liked today when I asked him what Mavery was saying and he said, "she said she has to pee." ;0)
The Chisum Family
Silly Mavery, happy that she has food!
Our Beautiful Girl
This is the I am speaking Chinese at you and you are not answering me!
Having fun with daddy!

Mavery woke this morning in a MUCH better mood. Which put ME in a much better mood! She woke up at 5:45 and I pulled her in bed with me where she fell back asleep. I just spent a long time praying over her and asking the Father to help ME to help her. I know you all are praying back home for her adjustment and for my emotions as well. I FEEL the prayers, I really do. Thank you again for all the sweet emails and comments, they do my heart good. I am sorry I am not able to keep up on answering you, but please know that I do read them all and treasure knowing you are here with us in thoughts and prayer.

After she woke again, we got ready and you could just tell, she was different. Less sad, more curious. We had breakfast and came back to the room to get ready for our tour of the West Lake. When we came up I realized that we had left her little Dora fork in the dining room, so I sent Mark up to get it. Because she loves using this fork, and uses it well. He came down and said they don't have it. What do you mean they don't have it, he suggested I could go ask myself, which I did. Now, remember, not much english here. I get up there and say We left her fork, and they handed me every different type of fork they had, big small, different designs etc.. I kept pointing at Mavery, trying every thing I could think of to explain we already ate and left her fork. Finally I use the word lost and they got it. Found my fork, happily handed it to me and we were on our way. I told Mark he is just not as "expressive" when it comes to communicating with the chinese.

We get on the bus and head over to where we will tour the lake. You know so far I have not been impressed with Hangzhou. But today, being in a better state of mind, seeing Mavery coming alive, I was able to sit back and enjoy the beauty this city really does have to offer. The area we drove through was just charming, and I would have loved to stop at some of the shops along the way. Well that is with out carrying the chunky monkey that is! ;0) We get to our destination and wait for our boat ride. We were quite the attraction again and had lots of pictures taken with the Chinese. I am totally thinking we could move here and make a living that way! Just teasing, we think it is cute.

Oh along the way we saw a place you could dress up in Chinese silks and get photos taken. Mavery was not so much into this, which is a bummer as we thought it would be so cute to have a picture of her and Emma together like this. I also tried to talk Mark, Jeff and our guide Peter into dressing up but for some reason they would not go for that. I told them you all would have LOVED to have seen it! ;0)

The boat ride was just a boat ride around the lake and it is so calm and we enjoyed it. Mavery is coming out of her shell more and more that is for sure. Peter told us that the director (who IS named Mr JIN, Cynthia you were right!, though he has another name to.) said that SongSong is very smart and is a very hard child to take care of. WHAT? No, no, no, that was NOT in the paperwork, do they not know about Spicy Girl who already lives in my house? They were supposed to send us the CALM, quiet version. That is what we pictured all along? Looks like we were wrong all along. And the glimpses we have had today, we are in trouble. She knows what she wants, and she GETS what she wants. She was playing with a water bottle and pouring it on me. Mark took it away and she threw a fit. She goes to Emma for food and if Emma says no, she screams till Emma gives in. She hit Leigh on the back and Peter said she was saying she was mad at her because she would not give her food! Do you think these are bad signs? ;-) And she is not shy, she is much more like Sage in that area than I pictured. Chinese men were playing with her on the boat and she teases and flirts and she knows she is cute!

Her and Emma were quite the pair on the boat. We had Peter translating some of it for us. At one point he said Emma called Mavery stupid. hehe! They truly act like sisters in every way. I am so sad that they can't live near each other, but unless I can talk their family into ranching in Illinois, the girls will be apart. I think it is good that they have this slow transition to break them up. I wish we were flying home together, though the flight attendants might be thankful we are not!

After the tour we got back to our hotel and Peter took us to a Chinese place to eat and ordered for us. The food was excellent. Mark did try a chicken claw at Peters urging, but said it did not have much taste. He tried to talk me into it, he said it made a good story. I told him I have all the stories I need! Mavery was a typical 2 year old at lunch that is for sure. Refused the high chair, throwing chop sticks, making me run her to the bathroom 3 times. (which you know I love the bathrooms AND the stares I get as I walk for the 3rd time through the place!) We left and let the Chisums take the bill, as we were all desperate to get us out of there! ;0)




Now we are back in the room and having lots of fun! She is hilarious and watching her blossom is just amazing. We got Esther on skype and hearing them talk to each other was just to cute. We got it on video so will try to upload that later. Esther said she asked her if she is happy and she said yes, so that makes us happy. At this moment she is a totally different child than 24 hours ago. I did not expect to see her emerge so quickly. And I am sure we will have moments that she falls back into that sadness, but we are holding on to these happy times for all we can! She is just so amazing and I can't wait for you all to meet her!
Just a note about her & Mark. She is playing with him lots, but just won't let him carry her. Or if I start to leave her space she is right behind me. Today she has wanted to be held more and walking much less. Thankfully we have not had far to walk! She knows he is the one to toss her around in the air and so she will keep him around for that!
We are half way down and half way home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Lily and I are addicted to your blog. We have always wanted to adopt, but now Lily is pushing the issue even more. Mavery is so sweet, even with the fits and typical two year old behavior. It is good to hear the real version. We are praying for you guys.

Raechel and Lily

Mom 2 six said...

It has been wonderful reading about your time with Mavery. I am so happy for you !

Mom to my China Posse said...

Hey I told you day three was a turning point! Looks like she is making the transistion pretty quick. Did you find the phone?

Amy said...

I LOVE that silly picture of her with the glasses and the "talking Chinese" picture. She is adorable. Keep having fun!